Monday, January 20, 2014

First Look: Streamlight TLR-1s Weapon Light

This isn't exactly a "First Look," since I've had the item being reviewed mounted to my duty weapon for over a year now, but I realized I hadn't had a chance to share my thoughts on it.

First of all, I'll preface the actual review with a bit of a warning: If you choose to use a weapon-mounted light of any kind, it is highly recommended that you take advantage of the plethora of instructors out there, and seek some form of training in the proper deployment of the light in conduction with whatever types of encounters you foresee using it in.  That's my opinion, of course, and I found the training I received in the proper use of a weapon light to have been invaluable.  Using any kind of light in a low-light tactical situation carries a number of risks, most notably in revealing your position to an unknown attacker.  Many training courses offer a number of different techniques for employing a light source to your advantage, which can prove invaluable.

First of all, the packaging was minimal, yet adequate.  My TLR-1s was packaged in a simple molded plastic clamshell, inside of a branded cardboard box.  All of the pieces were kept in place, and everything was visible before opening the package.  Nothing was damaged in transit, the packaging was adequate to prevent damage in shipping, and the item worked as intended straight out of the package.

Included in the package, we have the light, a pair of CR123 batteries (commonly referred to as "Streamlight Batteries"), and a plastic bag containing adaptors to allow the light to work with different brands of pistols, given the subtle inconsistencies in grooving in most pistol rails.  Assembly was simple, as the Glock adaptor was already installed in the light, so all I had to do to get the light mounted and working on my Glock 22 was install the batteries, clip it on the rail, and tighten the screw.  I have heard that some generations used a different type of fastener to secure the light to the rail, but mine uses a simple screw with a slot for using a coin or other implement to tighten/loosen.  Installation took 30 seconds, and required no instructions.  Battery replacement requires removing the light from the weapon, which is a positive factor in my opinion, as the batteries aren't going to fall off during normal use, provided the light is securely fastened.

Streamlight advertises this light as producing 300 lumens of light output, which I can't confirm, as I don't have the technical equipment to do so in my garage.  I will, however, state that this is a VERY bright light, more than adequate for any tactical use you may have for it.  Light output is comparable to my upgraded Surefire 6P, with a slight perceptible advantage to the Surefire, due entirely to the upgrades made after purchase.

Using the TLR-1s is easy, as the controls are rather intuitive.  There is a "butterfly" type rotating switch, which allows for control of the light with either hand.  I prefer to activate the light with my support-hand thumb, as this keeps my trigger finger unoccupied, and I find that I can activate the light more accurately that way, particularly when using the strobe feature.  To turn the light on, you can move the switch one way for momentary, the other way for steady on.  To activate the strobe feature, simply double-tap the switch to momentary on, holding it down on the second tap.  I've only ever used momentary on for situations requiring a weapon drawn in the past, so I rarely use the "steady on" function.  The strobe feature is useful for disorienting attackers in low-light and no-light environments, although I do not recommend using it without receiving some form of training first, for reasons mentioned above.

Durability is impressive.  I've had the TLR-1s mounted to my Glock 22 .40 caliber pistol for over a year, and I've taken it to the range at least a dozen times, qualified with it at work twice, and conducted several firearms training events with it.  The Streamlight has performed flawlessly.  The body is made of anodized machined aluminum, and despite the heavy use it's received in my possession, the light still looks mostly as it did out of the box.  One adverse effect I've noticed, is that since the front of the unit protrudes farther than the front of the barrel of the Glock, it gathers excess carbon buildup at a pretty high rate.  It's not usually enough to interfere with light output, but I've noticed some discoloration of the bezel around the light, particularly the chrome accent ring between the light bezel and the rest of the unit, but this is purely aesthetic, not affecting the function of the product in any way.

To compound on the durability of this light, I've been told by a number of people that it's not a good idea to install a weapon-mounted light to a Glock .40 caliber pistol, because the recoil alone is known to have caused light failures, and others have reported weapon lights causing weapon malfunctions.  I've noticed no adverse effects in either the light or the gun, despite hundreds of rounds being fired, and the light only being removed for cleaning after a trip to the range.  I'd venture that I've fired close to 1500 rounds since mounting the light.

I purchased the TLR-1s for $120 from a local gun shop, but they have been seen going for $99 on Amazon.com, plus shipping, and I've seen some even better deals popping up around the 'net.  Also, you can find a number of accessories for the TLR-1s, including remote switches for long guns, and a very neat "contoured remote switch" for Glock pistols, which allows control of the light with the strong-hand middle finger.  The accessories available for the TLR-1s are also compatible with the TLR-1, and may be compatible with the TLR-2 and TLR-2s, although you should verify before purchasing.

Overall, if you're in the market for a weapon-mounted light, I strongly suggest taking a look at the TLR-1s.  It's a solid light that comes with a limited lifetime warranty, is easy to use, and includes hardware to mount on most rail-equipped pistols manufactured in the last 10 years.  It can also be used on a MIL-Standard rail, if you choose to mount it on an AR15 or other similar weapon, although I'd recommend taking a look at the TLR-1s HP for that purpose, which is essentially the same light, with a larger reflector and bezel, allowing for more effective light patterns consistent with longer distances that you may encounter using a rifle, versus the closer quarters of engagement you will see with a standard service pistol.  This is not the only weapon light out there, far from it, but it's solid, and is comparable in quality to all of its competition.

As always, if you have any questions or comments, let us know!  You can leave a comment here, with no registration necessary, post up on our Facebook page, or shoot us an email at thelowready@gmail.com.  We hope to have some pictures to share in the near future, so be sure to check back with us!

2 comments:

  1. People have been searching for approaches to make convenient light sources following the start of history. Tree limbs offered approach to lights which were later supplanted by candles and lamp oil lights. The issue was that despite everything you needed to depend ablaze for light which was perilous and unfeasible in specific circumstances.

    ReplyDelete