Monday, January 20, 2014

First Look: Magpul AFG

Well, I know this may not be as exciting for some of you as it is for me, but I acquired a Magpul AFG (Angled Fore Grip) from a friend over the holidays, and it has since been mounted on my AR15.  Previously, I had used a simple and inexpensive vertical fore grip, and honestly, it was useful, but I thought the AFG was a better fit for me, having held a rifle equipped with one previously.

Packaging was simple, the item was inside a clear plastic bag, which was neatly packaged in a clearly marked small cardboard box.  Nothing fancy, this is a very durable item, so unnecessary precautions weren't taken in preparing it for shipping.  It was clean and undamaged, and all of the parts were already in place.  Speaking of parts, the Magpul AFG has only three: The main component, which is essentially a piece of composite material, a nut, and a screw, which attach the grip to the rail.

Installation was simple.  Remove the screw, slide the grip onto the rail, position it where you want it, reinsert the screw, and tighten.  Installation shouldn't take more than a minute, even if you have other rail-mounted accessories that you need to remove first.

I can't really speak on increased accuracy or any other quantifiable improvements since installing the AFG on my rifle, although it felt much more comfortable.  That is purely a subjective analysis, however, and since this is largely a matter of preference, the best I can say is to give it a try.  I'm not going to spin a web of deception and tell you it'll make you a better marksman, or explain some completely fabricated theory about how this product will decrease back pain or increase the resale value of your home.  I can't endorse the product as a "Must Have" for everyone, because not everyone is going to like it.  There's not really much else to be said about it.

Check back soon, I'll be sharing some pictures of the AFG in the coming days.  If you have any questions about this, or any other articles featured on The Low Ready, give us a shout in the comments below, on our Facebook page, or in an email to thelowready@gmail.com.

Thanks for stopping by, and we look forward to reviewing more fun and exciting products throughout 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment