Tuesday, March 1, 2011

First Look: Springfield XD45 .45ACP

I know this particular blog leaves a lot to be desired, but I'm doing the best I can given my limited funds and the weather in my neck of the woods.  The range I shoot at is an outdoor range, and it's basically useless to me between November and March.  Enough excuses, let's get down to business.

Today's post is going to be a "First Look" at the Springfield XD45.  This is actually my own personal firearm, which I purchased a few months ago.  The list price is relatively low when compared to other polymer framed pistols, this particular pistol can be found used for around $450.  A new one will run around $600.



First impressions of the pistol were strong, the grip is comfortable, the controls are all easy to manipulate and placed very well.  Some of the best features I found in this pistol was the ambidextrous safety and magazine release.  Well, the fact that it's dead reliable is a great feature as well.  

Also included with the pistol is a lockable hard plastic case, two 13 round magazines, a speed loader, bore brush, cable lock with 2 keys, magazine holster (holds 2 mags), and a holster.  The case that everything comes in is very nice, it is a simple hard plastic case with "SPRINGFIELD ARMORY" molded in the side of it, but inside, everything is held in place by foam.  Both sides of the case are lined with foam, and everything that comes with the XD has a cutout where it all fits perfectly.  I am going to include a few pictures, but I must apologize for the poor quality, the space I'm working with has very poor lighting. . . I'm working on that for future reviews.



I haven't spent too much time behind the trigger of this weapon, but I did put about a box of ammunition through it.  50 rounds of .45ACP FMJ that I had laying around, and the Springfield XD performed flawlessly.  The factory sights were adequate, although I would eventually like to upgrade to a set of tritium "Night Sights."  Very easy to aim, the numerous safeties do not hamper the operation of the pistol at all, and the trigger pull is very smooth.  I was impressed with the function of the pistol, especially considering the words "Made In Croatia" on the slide, they don't exactly inspire confidence.

Honestly, after spending some time with the XD in my collection, the only major complaint that I have is not for the folks at Springfield, but for a couple of the major manufacturers of holsters and firearms accessories.  There just aren't enough good options for carrying the XD, particularly as a police duty weapon.  I've been trying to get an answer from Blackhawk about a release date for a Level III Retention duty holster for the XD, and I keep hearing nothing in return.  Don't get me wrong, there are options out there, but the competition is pretty weak among Level III Holsters marketed towards police officers.

I will be putting a couple holsters through the paces with this particular pistol over the coming months.

This is my normal carry rig, the XD
in a DeSantis Intruder IWB Holster.









UPDATE: 3/3/2012
Pictures added above.  The XD45 has been my primary concealed carry pistol for about 8 months, it carries well, and isn't overly difficult to conceal - as long as you are using the right kind of holster, and adjusting your wardrobe to allow concealing of a larger pistol such as this.

1 comment:

  1. Just a quick update, I was doing some more research into ammunition for our upcoming trip to the range with the XD, and I found something that may be of some concern to any of you with an XD, XDM, or other polymer pistol. Follow the link for more information, it may have been a single isolated incident or it could be an inherent design flaw on the XDM, but I thought the potential for injury was enough to warrant linking to the post here.

    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/02/10/springfield-xdm-kaboom-2/

    ReplyDelete