Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Review: Heckler & Koch USP45 Tactical

Recently, I decided to act on impulse, and picked up a pistol I have always been intrigued by.  This is the Heckler & Koch (HK) USP45 Tactical.  I spent some time at the range with the USP a while back, but we'll get to that later.

First of all, this is a BIG pistol.  It's a full-size .45ACP semi-automatic with a 4.78" Threaded Barrel.  The magazine capacity depends on which model you purchase, but most will include 12-round magazines.  The USP weighs in at 1.9 lbs without a magazine, and the overall length of the pistol is 8.64".  Included with most is a cleaning kit, soft-sided case, two 12-round magazines, and of course, the pistol itself.

Build quality is fantastic, everything fits as you'd expect for a pistol in this price range.  The trigger pull is smooth, with a clean break and short reset.  I did notice a "catch" in the decocking lever, but nothing more than you'd find in a comparable pistol from another reputable manufacturer.  The ergonomics are alright, the grip angle is similar to a 1911, although this feels markedly different, by virtue of the size difference and single-stack vs. double-stack design.  The grip design is similar to a 2nd-generation Glock or Springfield XD.  The slide retracts easily, with no noticeable roughness.

It's got a threaded barrel, but uses a less-common "reverse", or left-hand thread design, which is rather uncommon.  If suppressor use is the primary concern for going with the H&K, keep in mind, you may need to purchase a suppressor specifically for this weapon.  The raised sights are designed for use with a suppressor, which is an often-overlooked addition by many suppressor users.

If you are planning on using a weapon-mounted light, however, one thing to consider is the rail design employed on the USP.  H&K uses a proprietary rail design, and is NOT compatible with most off-the-shelf weapon lights for this reason.  If you want to use a weapon light on this pistol, you only have two options: Buy the Insight USPC light made specifically for the USP, or purchase an adapter, and use a standard weapon light (Surefire X300, Streamlight TLR-1/2, etc.).  The USPC light is about $190 new, whereas a Streamlight TLR-1 can be found for around $100.  If you go with the rail adapter, holster selection just became a whole lot more difficult, and you may need to go with a custom holster.

When I took the H&K to the local indoor shooting range, I brought along a box of Winchester FMJ ammunition, which has recently become my go-to choice for range ammunition.  I also brought a box of 50 rounds of Winchester Ranger .45ACP Jacketed Hollow Point ammunition, since my intent was to carry this particular ammo, and wanted to at least put some rounds downrange to familiarize myself with the way the pistol handled it.  I was not disappointed.

With the target about 15 yards from my shooting position, I was easily able to place all 12 rounds right where I wanted them.  My grouping was similar to that of my duty weapon, a Glock 22 .40S&W pistol, which I've put hundreds of rounds through.  All 12 rounds hit within 8-10" of the center of the target.  The targets I use for these range trips are usually standard law-enforcement silhouette targets, and every round fired at this distance would have resulted in significant damage to an attacker, given all other factors were equal (which we all know, in a self-defense situation, is rarely the case. . . )

I replaced the target with a fresh one, and put it at 25 yards from the bench.  In a standing, unsupported position, using my normal two-handed grip, I was able to place all 12 rounds of the 2nd magazine on the target.  This pistol fired accurately, the sights were right where they needed to be, and handling the pistol was just as easy for me as handling my primary carry pistol.  Every round went where I intended it to, and the smooth trigger pull lended itself quite well to preventing anticipation.  Overall, the USP was a fantastic shooter, accuracy was more than adequate for the distance I was shooting, and reliability was not a concern.  I put 150 rounds of ammo through the USP that day, and did not experience any malfunctions.

Overall, I'd say the H&K USP .45 Tactical is a fantastic pistol, it is accurate, easy to handle, and is very reliable.  I'll detail the positive and negative aspects of the pistol below.  Remember, these are simply my observations, I'm not endorsing or condemning this pistol in any way.

Pros: Accurate, simple operation, reliable, and low-maintenance.  Not to mention, aesthetically, it's a fine looking pistol.

Cons: Heavy, bulky, difficult to conceal, holster selection is limited, proprietary rail, proprietary barrel threading.

The Final Word: As a target pistol, this pistol does a fine job.  If you are looking for a concealed-carry pistol, you might want to keep looking.  Even given the proprietary barrel threading, light rail, and difficulty in finding holsters, this is a fantastic firearm, and is arguably one of the best combat pistols ever made.  From a practical standpoint, I personally wouldn't use this pistol for anything other than target shooting, or open carry.  From a firearms enthusiast standpoint, I appreciate the weapon for it's simple design, reliability, accuracy, and aesthetics.  In the end, you are the only one who can decide whether or not to purchase this particular model.  You won't miss much if you don't, but you won't regret it if you do.  Either way, this is a fantastic shooter, and I really enjoy it.


1 comment:

  1. Are flashlights a main component of your job to you? Do you spend a lot of time in situations where you need a portable light source? Then you can't miss this comparison between traditional flashlights and LED flashlights.

    ReplyDelete